We are fortunate to be among the few dental practices throughout the country that are trained to use ozone therapy treatments. Dental ozone therapy is one of the latest technological advances in dental care within the United States. It offers a safe and effective treatment method to combat cavities, reverse tooth decay, manage gum disease, and even improve overall oral health–all pain-free!
What is Ozone Therapy?
Ozone (O3) refers to supercharged oxygen which has three molecules of oxygen compared to the two molecules of oxygen we are used to breathing. It is a natural gas that is both an oxidant and an oxidizer. As an oxidant, it has incredible anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal properties. It is safe to use and does not cause the patient any harm as human cells contain antioxidant enzymes that break down ozone and are thus not harmed by ozone therapy. Ozone therapy is a painless form of treatment for patients.
During the procedure, a small handpiece is used to focus either ozone gas or ozone water directly to the targeted areas. Treatment can range from 1-10 minutes and most cases require multiple applications for effective results.
Ozone therapy has been used in healthcare for years as a method of sterilization, as a disinfectant for operating rooms and equipment, and also as a method of treatment for some diseases and certain medical conditions.
Benefits of Ozone Therapy
Some of the benefits of receiving ozone therapy include:
- No painful injections
- A minimally invasive procedure
- Shorter procedure and faster recovery time
- Elimination of infective microorganisms on contact such as bacteria, fungi, parasites, viruses, and other pathogens
- Does not leave any toxic by-products
- Improvement in blood flow
- Amplified immune responses leading to a quick recovery and decreased risk of infection
How is Ozone Therapy used?
Ozone therapy can be used in many ways to treat dental problems found in both adults and children. Because ozone therapy does not require any drilling, noise, or suction, it can make for a very child-friendly experience.
Ozone can be used as a natural disinfectant in periodontal (gum disease) treatment, preventive and restorative dentistry, and can be used as an aid in minimally invasive procedures such as cleaning areas before fillings or helping to heal canker sores. Some common conditions that are frequently treated with ozone therapy include:
- Cavities–by exposing cavities to ozone gas or water, the bacteria is eliminated and the surface hardens halting the decay process. Here at NoPo Kids Dentistry we also use ozone therapy before applying sealants.
- Root Canals and Restorative Dentistry– Fillings and crowns can be cleaned with ozonated water or gas to reduce the change of recurrent decay and extend the life of dental restorations. Root canals can also be treated with ozone therapy to manage decay and infection allowing for an increased probability in a successful root canal procedure.
- Gum Disease–ozonated water, oil, and gas used in combination with routine brushing and flossing can kill bacteria responsible for gum disease and reverse the effects by reducing inflammation and infection.
- Tooth Sensitivity– Flooding sensitive dental regions with ozone gas or water can harden the structure and provide a second protective layer resulting in reduced sensitivity.
Our staff is trained to properly control the dosage of ozone throughout treatment safely and effectively to provide your child with the best care possible. For more information on ozone therapy and how your child can benefit, contact NoPo Kids Dentistry today.